This position is an entry level environmental position that provides compliance support to operating segments and construction projects through the application of environmental regulations. The position requires high levels of supervision and mentoring and the application of knowledge through others.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
• Work frequently with immediate supervisor on task assignments and task completion review.
• Work with an assigned mentor to navigate compliance requirements and organizational procedures and tools.
• Gather operating and project data and enter into templates to facilitate compliance evaluation or reporting.
• Perform field inspections at operating assets or on construction projects to identify compliance improvement opportunities.
• Provide data gathering and analysis for emerging regulatory issues in support of Industry Association committees or company issue management.
• Work with more experienced environmental professionals to provide regulatory applicability determinations and identification of compliance requirements and tasks.
• Manage individual environmental programs with the goal of developing an understanding of the programs and applicability to company.
• Utilize established procedures and tools to facilitate and demonstrate compliance.
• Receive and review operating or construction reports and compliance inspections and provide a cursory review to compare to compliance obligations.
• Manage field based contract and consultant resources that provide compliance support to operations and projects. Development of requests for proposals, proposal evaluation, work offers and work authorizations are done in conjunction with a more experienced professional.
• Gather data to support the development of permit applications for construction projects and operating assets.
• Works within an already established compliance system to provide data management and environmental records maintenance for a facility or area.
• Agency interaction requires review of correspondence and experienced personnel participation in agency field meetings or inspections.
• Regular and reliable attendance is required in performance of job.
• Employee may be required to perform additional duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
Associate’s degree or higher in an environmental science and/or related technical discipline or equivalent combination of formal education and job related experience:
• Entry level up to ten (10) years of experience in an environmental compliance role is typical for this position, but years in the position is not as relevant as the application of knowledge and experience.
• Working knowledge of state and federal environmental regulations and standards.
• Demonstrated ability to analyze, research, compile, and prepare permit applications, logs, reports, and correspondence and company responses to agency requests.
• Demonstrated ability to evaluate, research, and interpret governmental regulations, equipment performance manuals, regulatory agency guidance and instructions, reports, correspondence, and company policies and procedures.
• Application of math, algebraic formulas, calculus, and statistics.
• Experience in use and function of office equipment including computers and applicable software.
• Experience interacting, advising, negotiating, and communicating effectively.
• Demonstrated ability to read and write fluently in English.
• Communicate and/or exchange information.
• Communicate effectively through the development of written communication that applies fundamental technical writing skills
Certification and Licensing
• Applicable driver’s license for travel to other locations and to job sites throughout the company.
• Mobility to travel in and around office surroundings and to other business locations.
• Ability to operate tools and equipment required.
• Ability to collect environmental field samples (air, water and waste) for analysis