Engineer - Instrumentation Electrical Controls
We have a flexible working environment that offers employees the option to choose from compressed weeks with half-day Fridays or every other Friday off and Hybrid options for specific roles. Our spacious Lakewood, CO office, has free parking, an on-site gym, and food trucks every other week! We currently can hire for this position from the following locations: Lakewood, CO, and nearby locations. Alternate work locations may be approved at management’s discretion.
Engineer-IEC Primary Purpose:
To plan, design, implement, and support control systems used in the operation of natural gas pipeline compressor stations, oil pump stations and related facilities.
**Position may be filled as an Engineer II, III, or IEC, Sr., dependent on skills and experience**
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Industry competitive pay
- Health insurance package options that include Flexible Spending & Health Savings Accounts
- 401(k) with up to a 6% match that vests immediately plus an employer discretionary contribution up to 4%
- Wellness Programs
- Employer-paid life insurance, short-term disability, and long-term disability coverage
- Critical Illness & Accident Insurance
- Vacation, sick days, paid caregiver leave, volunteer and bereavement paid time off
- Identity theft protection
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Long Term Incentive Program
- Generous Tuition Reimbursement Program
- Company-paid holidays and floating holidays
- Company vehicle (if applicable)
- Employee discounts: vehicles, tires, cellular plans, and more
- Career pathing, development programs, and internship programs
- This role is eligible for a Hybrid work schedule
- Design, develop, test and maintain PLC based automation systems (Primarily Allen Bradley PLC systems) and PC based HMI systems including Wonderware and Ignition.
- Design and implement automation system networks, including specifying communications protocols, communications media and associated hardware.
- Interface with other technical/engineering disciplines to ensure the effective integration of electrical and automation systems with the overall product design.
- Develop and maintain Control Narratives, Cause and Effect Diagrams, and program documentation for projects and site modifications.
- Provide on-site services, including oversight of system installation, leading commissioning efforts and supplying troubleshooting support as required.
- Assist Field Operations with remote troubleshooting and support for their IEC systems.
- Develop and/or update Company Equipment Specifications and Engineering Standards.
- Effectively plan, schedule, manage and report on multiple capital and maintenance projects with various deadlines and responsibility levels involving new construction, mechanical integrity, emissions controls, etc.
- Review and manage projects in terms of economics, OSHA Safety, Engineering Standards, Construction Standards, Operating and Maintenance Procedures.
- Develop project scope documents, schedules, costs estimates and budget forecasts as required with minimal direction from supervisor.
- Provide engineering support to field operations as necessary.
- Effectively prioritize workload between several projects.
- Deal with a wide variety of people with tact, courtesy and professionalism.
- Speak clearly, both in person and by telephone, using a high level of verbal skills and listen carefully.
- Maintain regular, dependable attendance and a consistently high level of performance.
- Will work non-traditional hours as needed.
- Maintain a high regard for personal safety, for the safety of company assets and employees, and the general public.
- Other daily, weekly, monthly or special project duties as defined.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution in Engineering or a related discipline.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of direct work experience in Automation may be considered as a substitute for a degree.
Certifications, Licenses & Registrations:
- Intermediate proficiency level in MS Office applications that may include but are not limited to Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Competencies, Skills & Abilities:
- Must possess and maintain a valid driver’s license and a driving record satisfactory to the company and its insurers (for travel).
All of the physical requirements listed below are those that may be necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Experience programming Allen Bradley PLC, Wonderware Intouch, and Ignition by Inductive Automation
- Experience in designing and implementing communications networks, utilizing a variety of communication protocols, including but not limited to Ethernet, ControlNet, DH+, DF-1, Modbus and Profibus.
- Proficiency in basic engineering skills.
- Experience with designing and specifying physical media used in communications, including but not limited to copper cabling, fiber optic cabling and radio transmission.
- Knowledge and experience in the design and operation of automation systems for natural gas and oil facilities, including compressor/pump stations, storage facilities, measurement stations and processing facilities.
- Familiarity and ability to read and interpret electrical and mechanical blueprints and diagrams, including flow charts, cause/effect diagrams, and Piping and Instrument Drawings (P&IDs).
- Must be able to perform all essential and marginal functions of the job.
- Must be able to work with a team, take direction from management, adhere to required work schedules, focus attention on details, and follow work rules.
- Ability to successfully perform multiple tasks with strict deadlines.
- Ability to organize and prioritize daily work.
- Job level commensurate with experience and skill sets; position will be filled depending on qualifications, experience and skill sets of the successful candidate.
- Sitting; standing; walking or moving throughout facility; driving; talking; seeing (specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus); hearing; feeling; bending or stooping; squatting or crouching; reaching; kneeling; pushing; pulling; lifting up to 25 lbs.
- Minimal safety hazards; general office working conditions.
- Must be able to sit for prolonged periods of time.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to type, touch, handle, or feel. The employee is required to talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and climb or balance. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
PREFERRED EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATIONS, COMPETENCIES, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
Above the minimum requirements; not required but advantageous in this position:
- Frequent overnight travel may be required.
- Required to carry a cell phone and be available to respond during working and non-working hours.
- The successful candidate will be required to clear a drug screen and a complete background check, including a credit report for certain positions, after an offer has been extended and prior to being employed.
- Specific knowledge related to the electrical/mechanical design of gas compression equipment including reciprocating engines, gas turbines, electric motor drives, reciprocating compressors, and centrifugal compressors and/or knowledge of oil facilities and pipelines.
- Gas and liquid measurement station design experience.
- Advanced proficiency level in MS Office applications that may include but are not limited to Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint and Outlook.
- Medium and High voltage experience, including equipment specification and sizing.
- Knowledge and/or application experience with industry standards (DOT 49CFR192, API, ASME, ANSI, NACE, NEC, etc.).
- Design and construction knowledge of NEC codes, especially as related to hazardous area applications.
- Working knowledge of Electronic Flow Measurement (EFM) system programming and configuration